Thursday, September 27, 2012

A Long Journey

Well I made it safe and sound to Seoul. Yesterday was one of those 24 hour days with no sleep that last far too long. Here's a quick run down of my trip here:
At the airport, I found out an extra bag cost 200 dollars to check; my mother and I did some bag reconstruction in order to avoid that fee.
My flight to Seattle was very brief, especially since my neighbor talked my ear off about his travels and teaching experiences. Don't get me wrong, it was quite fascinating. 
Downtime in the Seattle airport for about 2 hours. 
Loooooong flight to Korea. 12 hours on the plane. The guy next to me didn't get out of his seat once AND his in-flight movie stuff wasn't working, I have NO clue how he survived that. The guy behind him was a very angry alcoholic. Every time the flight attendant came by, which was actually quite often, he would say "bring me another beer" (wine and beer are free on Asiana Air). He ended up getting very upset about his "internet" not working (when really no one had internet, it was just movies) and his light not working, and then when they tried to move him, he was like "Oh, no thanks I don't want a middle seat." I was also highly entertained by the baby a row and to the right in front of me. He may have been the most adorable child ever. Maybe. And I was able to watch 3 and a half movies along the way, which was nice because I couldn't sleep at all. It was also nice because it gave me a chance to catch up on new releases like The Lucky One, Snow White and the Huntsman, and What to Expect When You're Expecting. Then I watched the first half of Grease. When I got into the airport, customs took a bit of time to get through and I was one of the last bags at baggage claim. Unfortunately, only one of my bags was there. Before I went into panic mode, I asked a man and he took me to lost and found and got me a cart for my other 3 bags, come to find out, someone else took my bag home. "WELL SHIT" was mostly what I was thinking...along with "hopefully they didn't find my cash...I could get by without that I can't all my professional clothes are in wouldn't be the end of the world....I'd be 200 dollars out just by losing the money in that bag...shit." They had me wait around a while, while they were trying to contact the lady and just as they had me start to fill out the form that stated I had lost my bag, the lady shows up to the counter and is like "I have the wrong bag." THANK THE LORD! Because of this, I forego the last baggage check. 
My next task is to contact Dokhoon so that my driver will be waiting when I get off the bus. Of course I don't have coins for the payphone so a nice man lets me use his phone. I finally get my bus ticket and I can relax. 
I have to wait for my driver at the bus stop for 10ish minutes while taxi drivers keep harassing me to get in, then we take 45 minutes to get out of Seoul into Suji where we finally arrive at Brigitte's school as her and Michael are walking out. I get out. Embrace my long lost friend, and we finally come home. 
She has a Snickers waiting for me (which has special significance all of its own), we eat some spaghetti, and go down to the gas station to buy some water where we meet a Texan, who was ready to get me wasted since it was my first night in Seoul, and his friend. We insist on not because I haven't slept in 24 hours, say a hasty goodbye, and SLEEP. 

So really, my travels were not too shabby. I only had one minor panic attack! Quite impressive if I do say so myself. 

Today started with me waking up at 530 am here and hangin till 8 when Brigitte woke up. We ate some breakfast, hung out, then went to meet up with Scotty! We decided we were hungry again so we had some french toast at a little coffee shop. Then as we sent Scott off, Brigitte and I got to explore the world of E Mart! I got to buy a straightener (although with the humidity in the air at this point in the year, I don't think it'll do much for me...), Brig got to buy a full size towel (she'd been using a hand towel for the past month), and I got to experience a grocery store for the first time as well. 

Now I'm waiting waiting waiting for Brig to get off work so we can so very soon and so very early in the morning, start our journey to Busan to learn how to surf and spend Chuseok there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment